Thursday, March 10, 2011

Worm Composting







Today I started a compost box. I decided to use worms instead of natural decomposition because I want a steady supply of worms and it's faster.

I started with a plastic bin and drilled a few holes in the bottom so that water won't drown the worms. The compost needs to be watered so this was the only way to go.


Next, I made "bedding" for the worms with an LA Times. I tore the whole thing other than the glossy toxic pages into 1 inch strips. It's the first use other than covering floors for painting that I have gotten out of that paper since being talked into subscribing at a Bristol farms in exchange for a 10 dollar gift card 2 years ago.







Next I found the worms which I purchased at Armstrong Garden center and misplaced during my search for a suitable container for composting. They were in the garage.












I put some water on the newspaper and I went kitchen trashcan diving and found a bag of bad arugula and a banana peel. I chopped the peel and dumped both in. Mmmmmmmm.













Finally, I dumped the worms in and put the container behind the garage up on some bricks for drainage.



I can't wait to see how the worms are doing and of course I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment